Loading...
Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Reformed Church

Mugeni

The Reformed Church of Mugeni is probably the most important medieval church of Udvarhelyszék (administrative unit in the Székely Land). It is assumed that the church was built in the 13 - 14th centuries. During the 14th century, the sidewalls of the church nave were painted at least two times, even the facade beard traces of mural paintings. Nowadays, we find murals on the West and North nave walls. On the top side, there are fragments of the legend of Saint Ladislau, while below there are parts of the legend of Saint Margaret.

The best preserved murals are the lowest ones, illustrating scenes from the Final Judgment. A major reconstruction process took place in the second half of the 15th century. The old sanctuary was then demolished, and a new one, with a ribbed vault, was built. It is assumed that the community was converted to Protestantism as early as the 16th century. The interior design of the church that can be seen nowadays was completed after this. The nave vault was replaced by a coffered ceiling in 1724, while in 1749, with the consistent support of Korda György and Borsai Nagy, the church roof was replaced with a tiled one and a new floor was also built.

Inside, the walls were plastered and painted again. A walled pulpit was also built then. In 1842, a new level was added to the tower, which was strengthened in 1865. They then decided to make a new window on the northern wall of the nave and so discovered the mural paintings.

The wooden furniture in the church dates from the 18th century: in 1724 the coffered ceiling replaced the Gothic vault. It was commissioned by Korda Zsigmond and Borsa István’s widow, Balló Mária. The structure of the coffered ceiling at the church in Mugeni is strangely different from others one can see in Transylvania. Besides the usual parceling using laths, inside each panel there was a colored profile.

The top of the pulpit was crafted between 1748 and 1749 and was commissioned by Borsai Nagy István and his wife, Etesdi Éva. In 1761 the choir was finished upon request from Korda’s family. The panels along the balustrade are decorated with floral motifs and illustrations of cities, which evoke creations from Rössler’s workshop. At same time, in 1761, the door in the southern part of the church was made, being commissioned by Borsai Nagy István and Etesdi Éva. Later, it was painted in blue. The benches were made in 1722, the communion table dates from 1764, while the stand for the donation box was made in 1835.




SPONSORS

Sponsors