Loading...

Churches and belfries

Spherical panoramas from Szeklerland

Reformed Church
Zoltan
Between Bodok and Gidófalva, the valley of the capricious Olt river hides two small villages. Most 20th century maps only indicate one settlement in this place. This is because Sepsizoltan and Étfalva were...
Details...
Reformed Church
Mărtineni
Mărtineni/Kézdimartonfalva is located on the right bank of the river Feketeügy (rom. Râul Negru), between Hătuica/Hatolyka and Mărcuşa/Kézdimárkosfalva. As St. Martin was the patron saint of the old...
Details...
Wooden belfry
Frumoasa
The official register of ancient monuments of Harghita County keeps a record of the belfry as an ancient monument, but we do not have an accurate data. The carved gate supplied with the year 1799 may show when the belfry and...
Details...
Reformed Church
Ighiu
There is little information on this church in literature. Most recently, historian Mihály János was concerned with the history of the church and the village in his travel piece in which he depicts the valleys of the two...
Details...
Reformed Fortress Church
Ilieni
The fortress church of Illyefalva was considered to be one of those fortresses that formed a defensive line along the southern border of Transylvania in the middle Ages. At the beginning of the 14th century the village used to be one of...
Details...
Orthodox Church
Chichiș
The Orthodox population in Chichiş/Kökös has two churches. The oldest one bears the features of the 17th century wooden architecture. Built of pine back in 1740 and protected by St. Peter and St. Paul, the church was brought...
Details...
Wooden belfry
Șiclod
The wooden belfry with exceptional beauty, of the Reformed Church from Siklód, registered as a monument, was built in 1784 by Csíkfalvi Csók János. The circumferential inscription from the main parapet under...
Details...
Reformed Church
Dobolii de Sus
Háromszék has two settlements called Doboly. Aldoboly and Feldoboly are not two neighbouring villages, the former lying on the south-western edge of Sepsiszék in the Olt valley, the latter is right of the road...
Details...
Reformed Fortress Church
Sfântu Gheorghe
To the north of the town's Old Market - today's Calvin Square - on the edge of a salient terrace, stands the city's only remaining medieval monuments, the fortified church. The former followers of the Catholic Church converted into the...
Details...
Unitarian Fortified Church
Belin
Belin is situated in the forefront of the Baraolt Mountains, in the valleys of Belin Mic and Belin Mare Creeks, along the national road connecting Baraolt and Sfântu Gheorghe, and this settlement is a commune because Belin-Vale...
Details...
Roman Catholic Church
Leliceni
The church is located in the north-east part of the village. The village also received its name after the church, dedicated to The Holy Spirit, probably in the beginning of the 16th century. The church was built in Gothic...
Details...
Reformed Church
Porumbenii Mari
The church was built in the centre of the village, on a hillside. The building we can see nowadays, dating from the middle Ages, was rehabilitated several times. The niche where the door frame of the sacristy could have been placed,...
Details...
Reformed Church
Ghidfalău
The medieval Reformed fortified church standing on the west edge of the settlement lying north of Sfântu Gheorghe, on the right bank of the Olt river, is one of the most precious monuments of the region. The first church of the...
Details...
Unitarian Fortified Church
Dârjiu
The monument ensemble outside Odorheiu Secuiesc is part of the UNESCO World Heritage. It was built in the 15th century, while the fortress walls date back to the 17th century. The most valuable parts of the...
Details...
Unitarian Church
Calnic
The settlement that is administratively affiliated to Valea Crişului/Sepsikőröspatak is well-known for its large variety of fruit and also for its plum pálinka. The five-hundred-year-old oak tree in the Unitarian cemetery...
Details...
Reformed Church
Dalnic
The early Árpád-time church was re-built in gothic style in the early 16th century. The allegedly prolonged works were concluded in 1526. Part of a fresco, which has been preserved and identified as coming from the 14th...
Details...
Reformed Church
Zăbala
Zăbala is a settlement with long history and belongs to the Orbai Chair.  The Reformed Church lies along the main road and it has got east western orientation. The church is a characteristic relic of the 15th century...
Details...
Reformed Church
Lisnău
Lisznyó lies east of Uzon, in the southern foothills of the Várhegy. In the centre of the settlement, in the place of the Protestant church, there was a medieval church, but it was rebuilt in the 1500s. It was later...
Details...
Saint Imre Church
Ghelința
It is one of the most valuable religious monuments in Kovászna County that dates back to the 13th century. The Szent Imre church preserves Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and Renaissance stylistic devices that date back to the 13th...
Details...
Roman Catholic Fortified Church
Sânzieni
In the north-eastern corner of the Upper-Treiscaune/Háromszék region, at the foot of the rocky Perkő Mountain, on the top of a slightly prominent hill, enclosed by a multi-angular tower-wall, there is a gothic aisle less...
Details...
Roman Catholic Church
Sândominic
Sândominic is the most northern village in the Ciuc river basin. The religious community settled here is first mentioned in historical documents in 1567, under the name Zent Domokos. The church probably bears hidden...
Details...
Unitarian Fortified Church
Arcuș
Located only three kilometers north-east from Sepsiszentgyörgy/Sfântu Gheorghe, Arcuş/Árkos was set up within the area straddled by the valleys of the two streams, the Geje and the Falu – both of the springing...
Details...
Unitarian Church
Sânvăsii
Nyárádszentlászló/Sânvăsii, adiminstratively belonging to Nyárádgálfalva/Galeşti, is a value preserving settlement of the Közép-Nyárád region. Its name...
Details...
Unitarian Fortified Church
Aita Mare
The fortified Unitarian church in Aita Mare/Nagyajta is regarded as a most valuable monument. A bell-tower was attached to the western frontispiece of the east-west oriented medieval church located on the southern edge of the...
Details...
Roman Catholic Church fortress
Cârța
It is assumed that the first mention of the village of Cârţa and its church is to be found in the papal records from 1332 to 1337, but not under this name, but under that of Tarcău. This hypothesis is supported by the order of...
Details...
Wooden Belfry
Eremieni
Eremieni lies in the valley of the confluence of the brook Baraolt and Amé, located at 2,5km distance from the county road 135. The name of the village was first recorded in 1332 as S. Emericus in the Papal Registers. In...
Details...
Reformed Church
Mugeni
The Reformed Church of Mugeni is probably the most important medieval church of Udvarhelyszék (administrative unit in the Székely Land). It is assumed that the church was built in the 13 - 14th centuries. During...
Details...
Roman Catholic Church
Misentea
Misentea is located 9 kilometres away from Miercurea-Ciuc. The village and the church are first mentioned in the papal list of taxes for the years 1333-1334. The older age of the church is indicated by two dates inscribed in stone: the...
Details...
Roman Catholic Church
Valea Crișului
The name of the settlement, Valea Crişului/Sepsikőröspatak was already mentioned in the papal tithing register in 1332. Built on the hill located in the northern area of the village, the church was given its present shape between...
Details...
Saint Michael Church
Lemnia
In the northeastern part of Felső Háromszék, on the top of Saint Michael hill stretching onto the plateau located between Lemhény and Kézdialmás, there is a fortress church surrounded by high walls. It...
Details...
Reformed Church
Biborțeni
In Erdővidék, laying under Várbükk the Protestant church of the village, known for its mineral springs, is a valuable monument. The church obtained its present for after multiple extensions in 1897. The bell...
Details...
Roman Catholic Church
Sântimbru
The present parish church in Sântimbru was built in 1777, when Ogival elements of an older Gothic church were integrated in the new building. This typically Baroque church preserves elements of the old church, in certain details,...
Details...
Wooden belfry
Hatuica
The settlement lying to the south of Târgu Secuiesc, on the right bank of the Râul Negru, administratively belongs to Catalina. The determining Roman Catholic community sustains a church originating from the 15th...
Details...
Unitarian Church
Avrămești
Szentábrahám is located at 6 km north from Cristuru-Secuiesc (Székelykeresztúr) laying in the widening valley basin of Gagy. In the year of 1334 is mentioned by the first time in the writings as...
Details...
Wooden Belfry
Sânsimion
The name of the village was first recorded as S. Symone in 1332 in the Papal Register. In 1567 –Zen Symon- was recorded having 8 gates. Sânsimion is located on the solitary valley of Târnava Mică, on the road connecting Neaua to...
Details...
Unitarian Church
Sâncraiu
Sâncraiu lies about 4 km from the county town, to the right of the highroad leading to Ilieni, in one valley of the eastern foothills of the Baraolt Mountains.   The settlement received its name from its church built...
Details...
Saint Michael Orthodox Church
Barcani
The settlement lying in the valley located northeast off Bodzaforduló used to belong to Zágon until 1920. Today it is a community center to which the neighboring Ladóc and Salamás also belong. The first...
Details...
Unitarian Church
Mărtiniș
The ancient monument church which can be found in the parish’s center, on Church Street, was founded in the end of the 19th century, onto its Gothic predecessors place. The church was surrounded by a fortified...
Details...
Roman Catholic Church fortress
Racu
There is contradictory information, in the literature available on the subject, regarding the history of the building. The Roman Catholic Church in Racu is at the end of the village of Gârciu. Building the church at the border of...
Details...
Orthodox Church
Nadășa
Görgénynádas/Nadăşa, famous for its highly valuable monument church, is situated southeast from Szászrégen/Reghin, 12 km from the town, along the 153 county road, 400 m above sea level. In the course of...
Details...
Unitarian Church
Chichiș
Chichiş/Kökös is situated on the south-western edge of Sepsi region, 13 km from the municipality, at the mouth of the rivers Olt and Râul Negru/Feketeügy. This settlement is regarded to be the southern gate of...
Details...
Reformed Church
Saciova
The settlement – located at the encounter of the Bodzai Mountains and the Treiscaune/Háromszéki basin, in the Saciova/Szacsva valley – is administratively affiliated to Reci/Réty. At a first glance,...
Details...
Unitarian Church
Chilieni
The settlement, which belongs to Sepsiszentgyörgy from administrative point of view, was mentioned as Kylien in the papal register in 1332. Its name supposedly comes from that of Saint Kilian. The first church of the settlement was...
Details...
Orthodox Saint Nicholas Church
Bilbor
The Orthodox wooden church was built in 1795-97, in honor of St. Nicholas. It’s located on the eastern side of the town. The construction was built by masters from Bucovina. The historic building has high roof structure and...
Details...
Reformed Fortress Church
Calnic
There might have been a dense oak forest in Kálnok’s place. This can be deduced from the five hundred-year-old oak trees remaining in the Unitarian cemetery as silent witnesses, as well as from the names of Csere-forest and...
Details...
Armenian Catholic Church
Gheorgheni
Armenians were living in Gheorgheni at the beginning of the 17th century and they immigrated in larger numbers in the second half of the 17th century. At the beginning they practiced their religion in the wooden...
Details...

SPONSORS

Sponsors