Loading...
Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Unitarian Church

Mărtiniș

The ancient monument church which can be found in the parish’s center, on Church Street, was founded in the end of the 19th century, onto its Gothic predecessors place.

The church was surrounded by a fortified wall with oval ground-plan, strengthened by six towers, the entrance of which was built separately from the church, under the gate tower with medieval origins. From this, by today, it remained only the raised gate tower and the ruins of the castle wall, built in the 17th century. The defender towers lining up along the walls were demolished during the 19th century.

The village’s parsonage was first mentioned as Sancto Martine, in the papal annual register in 1333. The old church was first mentioned in 1636. The supposed Romanesque church was rebuilt in Gothic style at the end of the 15th century, and preserved this shape until 1888, when it was demolished. The new church was built with North-South orientation, with the following inscription on the façade: “It was built in 1888-1889 in the place of the church built in the 12th century and rebuilt in the 16th century.”

In 1884 the Gothic church was revealed by Huszka József, who drew the frescoes that depict the legend of Saint Ladislau and Saint Margaret. The St Ladislau legend pictures series are from the 14th century, the legend of St Margaret’s slightly later. The painted furniture of the today’s church was made by a local folk artist, Kádár Dombi Mózes.

In terms of a ground-plan arrangement, the church until it’s redevelopment in the 17th century wasn’t very different from the walled temples in Petreni, Ionești, Ocland or Satu Nou.




SPONSORS

Sponsors