Loading...
Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Reformed Church

Ighiu

There is little information on this church in literature. Most recently, historian Mihály János was concerned with the history of the church and the village in his travel piece in which he depicts the valleys of the two Homorod creeks.

The village, which was reformed in the 16th century, was at first a branch of the Reformed Parish in Daia. It became an independent parish in 1682.

The first church was built between 1701 and 1702 out of wood, and in 1774 a stone tower was raised next to it. The church one can see nowadays was built between 1784 and 1792 out of stone and brick. The money for the construction was raised out of public donations.

The wooden furniture from the old church was moved into the new one, the panels of the eastern balustrade, which were made in 1701, can be seen in the sanctuary, while the painted ceiling, made up of 58 cases, made in 1702, was restored in 2008 in the workshop of wood restorer Mihály Ferenc.

In 1792 the painted coffered ceiling of the main nave, which consisted of 35 cases, was finished. The inscription on one of the cases reads that these were crafted by a member of the second great family of carpenters and painters in Transylvania, Rössler György from Criţ. That same year, the western gate, the western balustrade that had 8 cases, the top of the pulpit and the benches were also finished. The organ bought by the religious community in 1868 was crafted by Kolonics István.

On the external northern wall, near the western entrance, there is a memorial plaque in white marble dedicated to Szabó Mózes, who served as a Levite pastor, teacher and founder of the most remote Protestant community of war prisoners from World War One. In the garden of the church, the rural community raised a monument for its war heroes.




SPONSORS

Sponsors