Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Reformed Church


The medieval Reformed fortified church standing on the west edge of the settlement lying north of Sfântu Gheorghe, on the right bank of the Olt river, is one of the most precious monuments of the region. The first church of the village was probably built in the 13-14th centuries, with a semicircular sanctuary. The Romanesque nave with narrow windows of the church existing today is a vestige of this early church; its size has not changed during the centuries. The construction of the wall surrounding the church and the crenellated gate tower most probably took place at the turn of the 15-16th centuries.

Reconstruction in Gothic style also took place at the end of the 15th century or at the beginning of the 16th century, when the octagonal vaulted sanctuary closed in five directions was also built. The pillared porch crowned with horseshoe and ogee shaped vaults of its southern entrance was built in 1787. The identification and conservation of the long hidden fresco scenes of the church have been recently completed. The full exploration of the northern and western nave walls could be carried out within the Rómer Flóris Plan. On the western nave wall the fresco cycle of the St. Ladislaus legend can be seen. On the fragmented surfaces the scenes of leaving Várad, the chase and the rest can be recognized. In the lower register of the western nave wall, between the southern wall corner and the western entrance, the fight between Saint George and the Dragon can be identified. In the upper register of the northern wall Christ’s birth, the Adoration of the Magi, the Massacre of the Innocents, the Entry into Jerusalem and the Last Supper can be recognized. Work was conducted by fresco restorer Lóránd Kiss.