Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Unitarian Fortified Church


Belin is situated in the forefront of the Baraolt Mountains, in the valleys of Belin Mic and Belin Mare Creeks, along the national road connecting Baraolt and Sfântu Gheorghe, and this settlement is a commune because Belin-Vale belongs to it.

The overall image of the village is determined by the houses that suggest Saxon impact, since they have tall gates and closed courtyards, and the Unitarian Fortress Church can be seen from far. The grandiose church, that combines the Neo-Byzantine and Neo-Romanesque styles, was built in 1893-1894 according to the plans of Lajos Pákei, an architect from Cluj Napoca, in the place of the church torn down. The wall of the fortress could have been built in the 16th -17th century. It has survived relatively well, and it is has got firing slits and three guard towers. The bell tower is from the Middle Age.

In the past Belin was called the “Unitarian Rome” too because regarding the neighborhood it was the place where the most people having the same religion lived. At the end of the 19th century, it was the most populous village of Erdővidék, it had 2000 residents, but today the number of Hungarian residents is below 1000.