Loading...
Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Roman Catholic Church

Leliceni

The church is located in the north-east part of the village. The village also received its name after the church, dedicated to The Holy Spirit, probably in the beginning of the 16th century. The church was built in Gothic style in the 15th century. Nowadays, only three sanctuaries are left from the original building. Among the Gothic elements, is the ribbed sanctuary supported by a sculpted counter fort, with its triumphal arch and windows, presently without moldings.

On the sanctuary wall, there is a case for the monstrance, a beautiful creation of Gothic peasant art. The church gained its present aspect after its restoration in 1806, marked by a passage to the Baroque style. The nave was elongated and its ceiling was replaced. The church tower was then built.

A valuable piece in the church is its artistic winged altar, which was crafted in 1510. In 1914, the altarpiece was brought to the National Museum of Hungary. Currently, it is exhibited at the National Gallery of Hungary. The winged altarpiece was donated by the young nobles in the Czakó family in 1510. On the back of the wings that are movable, images of the passion of Christ can be seen. The central painting, showing many characters, illustrates the coming of the Holy Spirit, while on the front part of the wings there are images of Saint Francis of Assisi, Saint Ambrose, Saint Augustine and Saint Balázs. The dating of the altar is indicated in two inscriptions. The year 1510 is inscribed between the coat of arms of the Czakó family and the Hungarian coat of arms from the Jagiellonian period. The shapes of the altar are typical of the Renaissance.

The church bells were made in the first half of the 16th century, honoring the Holy Spirit. The smaller one, for instance, was consecrated in honour of Saint Anthony of Padua.

Near the church, which is classified as a historic monument, there is a quaint attraction – the oldest tree in all the Székely Seat of Ciuc, known in the region as the lime in Leliceni. The 500 year old tree worthily won first place in the European contest Tree of the Year in 2010.




SPONSORS

Sponsors