Loading...
Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Roman Catholic Church

Sândominic

Sândominic is the most northern village in the Ciuc river basin. The religious community settled here is first mentioned in historical documents in 1567, under the name Zent Domokos.

The church probably bears hidden evidence of its existence during the Árpád reign, Gothic evidence respectively. One should keep in mind that there are still many unanswered questions regarding the history of the building. The present church was built towards the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century. It was dedicated to Saint Dominic in 1817. The year 1796 can be read on the chronosticon inscribed on the triumphal arch: “MILItans haC DVCere VIXI eX pIIs VotIVIs”. It is probably when the vault was built.

On the same spot the present church was built there was initially a smaller one, before the Mongol invasion. Due to the growth of the population, this church proved to be too small, so a new one was built using the stones from the former.

The sculpture of Madonna, found in the church that is classified as a historical monument, is quite valuable – it was made in the 15th century in the sculpture school in Șumuleu. The oil painting celebrating the coronation of Mary dates from the 16th century. From an iconographic perspective, it is rather interesting that, behind Mary, there is a triple image of Jesus, as a priest, king and prophet, each one with the same traits on his face. A work in Durer’s style was probably part of a winged altarpiece, which is nowadays kept in the Székely Museum in Ciuc and was probably the work of a Czech master. A cassette from the painted ceiling, which can be attributed to the former church, is also kept in the present building. The origin and dating of the statues of Saint Stephen, Saint Ladislaus, Saint Anthony, Saint Elijah, Saint Peter, Saint Barbara, Saint Anne and Saint Joachim are unknown.

In 1813, the church was surrounded by a fence and three bastions were built on the gate. On the exterior wall of the monument, there is a relief sculpture representing the portrait of Márton Áron, archbishop of Transylvania, born in this village.




SPONSORS

Sponsors