Loading...
Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Roman Catholic Church

Misentea

Misentea is located 9 kilometres away from Miercurea-Ciuc. The village and the church are first mentioned in the papal list of taxes for the years 1333-1334. The older age of the church is indicated by two dates inscribed in stone: the year 1230 inscribed above the west window on the exterior wall of the sacristy and the year 1247 inscribed in the stone that was used in the construction of the church fence.

During the Gothic period, the eastern part of the sanctuary was demolished and a longer one, in polygonal shape, with a counter fort and a vault, was built. The old sacristy was moved towards the east as the new construction of the sanctuary required. The nave windows, which were walled in, were replaced by bigger ones. At the west end of the nave, a tower was built, provided with a wooden bell dating from 1505.

During the Tatar attacks in 1661 the coating of the church and the shrine were destroyed. At the end of the 18th century, the western part of the nave was demolished and the nave was elongated. In the same time, the new tower and probably the south entrance were built, while the Gothic windows were walled in and replaced. The Baroque adjustments and the church tower were made Archbishop Mártonffy József’s support, between 1799 and 1815.

The present church is polygonal, has a beautiful apse, a Baroque style nave and a tower built at the end of the 18th century.

The sanctuary preserves its Gothic aspect - the corners are supported by counter forts, the Gothic windows are decorated with tracery, the vault is supported on lintel. High on the north wall of the sanctuary, there is the case for the monstrance. On the façade of the lobby, which is built in the southern part of the church, there is a relief sculpture of the Holy Trinity.

On the north wall of the nave, parts of a mural painting, illustrating the battle scene from the legend of Saint Ladislaus, were recently discovered and dated by experts in the 14th century. In the northern part of the sanctuary, other mural paintings were discovered. One of them, representing a large figure of a cavalier, is probably a 17th century creation.




SPONSORS

Sponsors