Loading...
Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Reformed Church

Saciova

The settlement – located at the encounter of the Bodzai Mountains and the Treiscaune/Háromszéki basin, in the Saciova/Szacsva valley – is administratively affiliated to Reci/Réty. At a first glance, visitors may only notice the late baroque features of the tiny Protestant church. During its restoration between 1818-1827, they pulled down the  medieval shrine to give room and grounds to the tower (1824), they produced a westward expansion to the nave, they built the portico in front of the southern entrance, and they erected stone buttresses to support the four corners of the nave.

During the early 19th century restoration works, they quite luckily managed to preserve the painted, boarded ceiling dated 1761, decorated with the highly fashionable flower and figural motifs on all its 60 (10 x 6) squares. Art history books of reference used to keep count of this church due to its flower-adorned ceiling.

However, art historian Mihály Jánó and fresco restorer Lóránd Kiss revealed fragments of a 14th century fresco, featuring the traits of the al fresco technique. The painted surface (150 x 40 cm) visualizes one of the most characteristic motifs of the Hungarian medieval iconography, the scene of „Pursuit” from Szent László’s legend. The revealed fragment seems to ground the local myth, according to which the present church was built right on the spot that once used to be the venue of a medieval chapel.




SPONSORS

Sponsors