Loading...
Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Reformed Church

Dalnic

The early Árpád-time church was re-built in gothic style in the early 16th century. The allegedly prolonged works were concluded in 1526. Part of a fresco, which has been preserved and identified as coming from the 14th century, witnesses the existence of a previous church. However, the present church may be regarded as the repository of late gothic reminiscences: besides the arched and circle-framed western entrance, there have been revealed two more entrances in gothic style.

Both, the historical and the artistic value of the building are further increased by the gothic inscriptions found in the wedges of the former groined vaults of the side-walls. Actually, such reminiscence is quite rare in Seklerland, and it marks the time of the re-building in the 16th century, as well as the completion of the subsequent arching. One of the inscriptions covering the seven wedges bears a runic script with a painted rosette above of it.

The church was fortified during the reign of King Sigismund. In 1658, the Crimean and the Budjak Tatars conquered the church and burnt it down; meanwhile the walls of the fortress were demolished in 1913.

However, thanks to the photos of István Gere from Cernat/Csernáton, we know that the original walls of the fortress – built according to an oval-shaped layout – must have been approximately 7-8 meters high, with galleries and arrow-slits in the upper quarter. The bastion was erected in the south-eastern corner of the fortress.




SPONSORS

Sponsors