Loading...
Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Wooden Belfry

Sânsimion

The name of the village was first recorded as S. Symone in 1332 in the Papal Register. In 1567 –Zen Symon- was recorded having 8 gates.

Sânsimion is located on the solitary valley of Târnava Mică, on the road connecting Neaua to Miercurea Nirajului, 12 km of Sângeorgiu de Pădure and 6 km of Miercurea Nirajului.

The old church of the village – The Reformed Church was rebuilt in the last decade of the 18th century. The coffered ceiling was made in 1797 and the sounding board (abat-voix) in 1781. Next to church there is a wooden bell tower with two bells.

One of the bells was made in 1929 by the generosity of the populace of the Calvinist Parish of Sânsimion. On the beam above the year 1942 is readable. Sânsimion still preserves its archaeological antiquities, such as the woven wattle fencing, whose sharp edges are shoved into the ground. In the mid- 19 th century this was the predominant type of fencing in any garden.

On the border of Sânsimion village there are 5 caves within the rocks. These are called Tatar Cellars because a part of the locals were hiding there during their invasion while the others withdrew to the opposite side of the valley, into the forest named nowadays Daraberdő. The road near the valley holds the name of “Road of Tatars” because this was the place where they used to appear.




SPONSORS

Sponsors