Loading...
Panoramas / Churches and belfries

Reformed Church

Porumbenii Mari

The church was built in the centre of the village, on a hillside. The building we can see nowadays, dating from the middle Ages, was rehabilitated several times. The niche where the door frame of the sacristy could have been placed, next to the original medieval shrine, as well as part of a fresco, illustrating Saint Elizabeth looking after the sick, the crowning of Saint Mary amongst angels and Jesus and Saint Dorothea with Jesus handing her a basket were found in the restoration process in 1970.

The oldest part of the church is the massive nave that was most likely built in the 13th century. A portico was later built at the southern arched entrance. A drawing representing a ribbed vault in late Gothic style was found on the first layer of plaster next to the southern entrance. Two balustrades bearing the inscription “BUILT IN THE YEAR 1843” (“EMELTETETT 1843”) are above the western entrance.

The two engraved cases in the ceiling provide evidence of the past condition of the church: “this house of God was crumbling, the bottom arch was cracked, was breaking, the three bare stone columns were poorly mended. As you can see, it was transformed thanks to the hardworking hands, bestowed with grace, of the Christians of the holly parish, each one has done what they could and what was fitting, for the good news of their praise to be remembered. Anno 1789”.

The 14th century Gothic sanctuary is narrower and higher than the nave. The sacristy, which is connected to the north side of the building, was transformed in a barn after 1750. The sanctuary has a monochrome coffered ceiling, which replaced the ribbed vault that was initially built. A coat of arms made out of stone which bears the thin lily that can also be found on the coins issued by the royal house of Anjou. In 1989, when the church was painted on the outside, on the south wall of the nave, between the two Gothic windows, a medieval mural painting (representing a person lying between two others, which are wearing yellow clothes, with the inscription: corrected 1476, St. Bartholomew) was found.




SPONSORS

Sponsors