Loading...
Panoramas / Tradition craftsmen

Watermill

Bățanii Mici

As Dénes Szász’s mill was purchased and operated by Lajos Fülöp (translator’s note: the English equivalent forFülöp is Philip), the last watermill in Băţanii Mici – of which name intertwined with the name of Elek Benedek, the story-teller – is known as the Philip-mill. Béla Keresztes, from Tălişoara/Olasztelek got hired in as an apprentice in 1951. As he became a hard-working miller, he married Julianna, the adopted daughter of Lajos Fülöp and his spouse. Therefore, the mill is being run today by the Keresztes family – auntie Etelka and her two sons, Lajos and Domokos.

The mill is, actually, a three-story harrow-house. The axle reaching in from the outside and the gearing are in the basement, the double-stone grinder is on the middle floor, meanwhile the silk sieves and the evacuation shafts are set up in the attic. The overshot water wheel is a huge and massive structure, and the water is heavily flowing onto its paddles, the gears putting into motion the grinding mechanism from within the mill-house.

According to the carved inscriptions, the mill was built in 1835, meanwhile another inscription –„1714” – may indicate the existence of an earlier mill. The only automated item of the mill is a small bell that would ring every time the hopper runs out of cereals.

Besides the crops produced by the local farmers, wheat is brought over for grinding even from the neighboring villages. Farmers say that the flour ground here makes better bread than the one coming from the artificial mills.




SPONSORS

Sponsors